The Electrotechnical Material Laboratory (ELMAT) was founded by the famous professor Christiana POPESCU and has functioned in the Polizu facility until 1974. Since 1974, ELMAT is functioning in the EB wing of the new building and uses 8 dedicated rooms.
The current structure of the laboratory, under the management of Prof. Dr. Eng. Petru V. NOTINGHER, dates since 1992 and is equipped with technology allowing the performance of complex lab work, destinated to both teaching activities and scientific research. Among these, we here notice:
1. Automatic installation for high voltage trial measurements (EB 014);
2. Installation for the study of partial electric discharge (EB 014);
3. Semiautomatic installation for the accelerated generation and study of water treeing on needle - plane samples (EB 120);
4. Installations for the generation of water treeing on plane and cable samples (EB 120);
5. The Hewlett-Packard installation for the measurement of relative permitittivity and of the loss factor small plane samples (EB 116);
6. The Keithley installation for the measurement of the absorption - resorption currents and of the resistivity of electroinsulating materials (EB 118);
7. A computer network, color printers and scanners, which ensure the support of the scientific research performed;
8. Measurement apparatus and equipment used for the determination of the magnetic, thermic, electric and mechanic properties of electrotechnical materials (EB 117).
The research activity developped by ELMAT takes place in ELMAT's dedicated laboratories and in cooperation with other research facilities, belonging to ELMAT' research partners.